IWA Housing Support Service
IWA Housing Support Service
The IWA has a dedicated internal Housing Working Group and Housing Support Service.
The IWA Housing Support Service is primarily based in Dublin. This Dublin based service provides information on housing options for people with limited mobility. Housing Officer, Dolores Murphy, works with Dublin based IWA service users to support them in achieving their desired living situation, be it independent living, adapted housing, home purchase or residential accommodation. This service was established in response to the difficulties encountered by many people with limited mobility in finding appropriate accessible and affordable accommodation.
Staff in IWA Resource and Outreach Centres throughout the country will provide support to individuals living locally who have a housing need.” For locations and contact details of IWA Resource and Outreach Centres nationwide see; http://www.iwa.ie/information/locations/locations-map
As part of its role, the IWA Housing Support Service maintains an awareness of:
- Planned social housing developments and the procedures required by the relevant local authorities and agencies to pursue a housing application.
- Government schemes designed to support first time buyers in buying a home at a reasonable price e.g. the Shared Ownership Scheme and the Affordable Housing Scheme.
- The Rent Subsidy Scheme administered by the Health Boards to support people receiving social welfare payments in funding privately rented accommodation.
- Existing and planned residential and sheltered accommodation options.
- The availability of, and the application procedures for, housing adaptation grants.
The IWA lobbies Government, local authorities and voluntary housing providers to increase awareness and encourage the development of action plans to meet the specific accommodation requirements of people with limited mobility in housing, supported housing and residential care developments.
For more information or to register with IWA Housing Support Service, contact Dolores Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01 818 6400
The IWA Housing Working Group
The IWA Housing Working Group is made up of people from within IWA who have a particular interest or role in housing within IWA. The Group works on a variety of housing policy related issues including;
- The development of IWA Housing Design Standards for both LifeTime Housing and Wheelchair Accessible Housing, see IWA Access Guidelines
- The development of IWA Housing Policy which informs IWA’s work on housing issues
- Submissions on relevant draft Government policy and legislation
- The development of IWA Housing Initiatives such as Operation Sign Up to promote housing opportunities and to support people to realise their own preferred housing situations
- Promoting and supporting collaborative working arrangements between people with disabilities, housing and related support providers and other disability organizations
Working in partnership with other bodies, IWA continually seeks forward planning by Government and housing providers to maximise the long term availability of different housing options, both mainstream and disability specific, as well as any additional supports required by people to achieve and sustain their preferred living situation.